Cocke County Election Commission
Josh Blanchard, Administrator of Elections
In Tennessee, voter registration does not automatically transfer from county to county or from state to state. The individual must complete a new voter registration application when he or she moves to a new county.
An application for a new voter registration must be submitted at least thirty (30) days before the next election.
Voter Registration by Paper Form
Residents may also register to vote or update their current address in-person at the Cocke County Election Commission office, 360 E. Main St., Room 130, Newport, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Am I Registered to Vote?
Click Here to check status, voting location, and County Commissioner District.
You may also call our office at (423) 623-2042.
March 3, 2020 – Presidential Preference Primary, County Primary (Assessor of Property)
- Election Day Voting Hours:
9 a.m. – 8 p.m. on Mar. 3, 2020
- Early Voting Period:
Feb. 12 – Feb. 25, 2020
- Early Voting Hours:
Feb. 12, 13, 14: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.;
Feb. 15: 8:30 a.m. – 12 Noon;
Feb. 18, 19, 20, 21: 8:30 a.m – 5 p.m.;
Feb. 22: 8:30 a.m. – 12 Noon;
Feb. 24, 25: 8:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Absentee Ballot Request Period:
Dec. 4, 2019 – Feb. 25, 2020
Absentee Ballot Request Form – Click Here.
- Voter Registration Deadline:
Feb. 3, 2020
- Candidate Qualifying Period for Assessor of Property: Oct. 15 – Dec. 12, 2019 at 12 Noon in the Cocke County Election Commission office
- Candidate Qualifying Period for Delegate Candidates for Republican National Convention: Sept. 13 – Dec. 12, 2019 at 12 Noon in the office of the Tennessee Coordinator of Elections
August 6, 2020 – Federal and State Primary, County General
November 3, 2020 – Presidential Election, Federal and State General, Newport School Board
Early Voting Location
Cocke County Election Commission Office
360 E. Main Street, Room 130
Newport, TN 37821
Election Day Voting
Voters must vote at their assigned Polling Place on Election Day.
To verify, use the TN Online Voter Lookup site – Click Here, or you may refer to your Voter Registration Card / Letter or call our office at (423) 623-2042.
Absentee By-Mail Voting
The first day to request a ballot for the March Primary is December 4, 2019, and the last day to request a ballot is February 25, 2020.
Click Here for more information on Absentee By-Mail Voting.
Photo ID Law
Click Here for information on Photo ID requirements.
Restoration of Voting Rights
Click Here for information or call the Cocke County Election office at (423) 623-2042.
Voting Rights Restoration paperwork should be completed as soon as possible so, if approved, the individual could have time to register to vote by the deadline.
County District Maps (County Commissioner Districts)
Cocke County Election Results
The Cocke County Election Commission office:
- Manages all voter registration in Cocke County and all voter list maintenance;
- Plans and implements all elections in Cocke County; federal, state, county, and municipal;
- Provides election information to residents and prospective voters;
- Maintains candidate and referendum records, including nominating petitions and local campaign finance reports;
- Complies with all state law and promulgated rules regarding Elections in the State of Tennessee and monitors new legislation and updates for any changes to the law or rules.
The Cocke County Administrator of Elections is the chief administrative officer of the Cocke County Election Commission.
- Vaughn Moore, Chair (appointed 2015, chairperson since 2016)
- Vickie Moore, Secretary (appointed 2015, secretary since 2015)
- Charlotte T. Leibrock, Member (appointed 2013)
- Stephen V. Stokely, Member (appointed 2003)
- Betty H. Whitson, Member (appointed 2016)
- Josh Blanchard, Administrator of Elections (appointed 2015)
The Cocke County Election Commission gathers for regular and special meetings throughout the year at the discretion of its chairperson and members. The dates, times, and purposes for all meetings will be posted in the Election Commission office for public review and published in local media.
Cocke County Election Commission office:
Dawn Mousseau, Teri Spinks, Josh Blanchard
360 E. Main Street
Courthouse Annex, Room 130
Newport, TN 37821
Fax: (423) 625-8416