Cocke County Election Commission
Josh Blanchard, Administrator of Elections
August 6, 2020 Election
Federal and State Primary, County General
Absentee By-Mail Ballot – Request Form for August election
Form is due in the Cocke County election office by July 30, 2020. Consider submitting the form sooner rather than later.
COVID-19 Absentee Ballot Information
and other Absentee Details from the Tennessee Secretary of State’s office.
General Absentee Ballot Information
from the Cocke County Election Commission office.
Early Voting In-Person will move to the Western Plaza Shopping Center for August 2020 and November 2020.
137 Western Plaza Way, Newport, TN 37821
in the former U-Save Discount Center location.
Early Voting period is July 17 – August 1, 2020, for August election.
– or –
Voter Registration by Paper Form
Click Here to Download the Tennessee Mail-In Application for Voter Registration.
Residents may also register to vote or update their current address in-person at the Cocke County Election Commission office, 360 E. Main St., Room 130, Newport, Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Am I Registered to Vote?
Click Here to check registration status, voting location and districts. You may also call our office at (423) 623-2042.
In Tennessee, voter registration does not automatically transfer from county to county. The individual should complete a new voter registration application by the deadline (30 days before an election) when he or she moves to a new county.
August 6, 2020 – Federal and State Primary, County General
November 3, 2020 – Presidential Election, Federal and State General, Newport School Board
- Candidate Qualifying Period for City School Board (three seats): Jun. 22 – Aug. 20, 2020 at 12 Noon.
Early Voting Location – CHANGED – to Western Plaza Shopping Center
137 Western Plaza Way, Newport, TN.
Early Voting for August election will be
July 17 – August 1, 2020.
Early Voting Hours:
Mon. – Fri.: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sat.: 9 a.m. – 12 Noon
Open late Fri., July 31: 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
There is a traffic light to enter and exit the shopping center at Douglas Ave. east of the CO-OP.
Election Day Voting
August 6, 2020: 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Voters must vote at their assigned Polling Place on Election Day.
To verify, use the TN Online Voter Lookup site – Click Here, or you may refer to your Voter Registration Card / Letter or call our office at (423) 623-2042.
Absentee By-Mail Voting
The last day to request an August election Absentee By-Mail ballot is July 30, 2020. Consider requesting an Absentee ballot sooner rather than later.
The first day to request an Absentee By-Mail ballot for the November General Election is August 5. Check later for the request form for the November General Election.
Photo ID Law
Restoration of Voting Rights
Click Here for restoration information or call the Cocke County Election office at (423) 623-2042.
Voting Rights Restoration paperwork should be completed as soon as possible so, if approved, the individual could have time to register to vote by the deadline.
County District Maps (County Commissioner Districts)
Cocke County Election Results
The Cocke County Election Commission office:
- Manages all voter registration in Cocke County and all voter list maintenance;
- Plans and implements all elections in Cocke County; federal, state, county, and municipal;
- Provides election information to residents and prospective voters;
- Maintains candidate and referendum records, including nominating petitions and local campaign finance reports;
- Complies with all state law and promulgated rules regarding Elections in the State of Tennessee and monitors new legislation and updates for any changes to the law or rules.
The Cocke County Administrator of Elections is the chief administrative officer of the Cocke County Election Commission.
- Vaughn Moore, Chair (appointed 2015, chairperson since 2016)
- Vickie Moore, Secretary (appointed 2015, secretary since 2015)
- Charlotte T. Leibrock, Member (appointed 2013)
- Stephen V. Stokely, Member (appointed 2003)
- Betty H. Whitson, Member (appointed 2016)
- Josh Blanchard, Administrator of Elections (appointed 2015)
The Cocke County Election Commission gathers for regular and special meetings throughout the year at the discretion of its chairperson and members. The dates, times, and purposes for all meetings will be posted in the Election Commission office for public review and published in local media.
Cocke County Election Commission office:
Dawn Mousseau, Teri Spinks, Josh Blanchard
360 E. Main Street
Courthouse Annex, Room 130
Newport, TN 37821
Fax: (423) 625-8416